On 11/24/2015, USCIS published a notice in the Federal Register of proposed changes to the Form I-9. The proposed changes aim to reduce the commission of technical errors on the Form I-9 and increase functionality for employers in completing the form on their computer.
Some of the proposed substantive changes include:
- Section 1: instead of requiring employees to provide all other names used, only require other last names used.
- Section 1: streamline the certification for certain foreign nationals.
- Instructions: adhering to USCIS’ practice by separating the instructions from the form itself.
- Instructions: revise explanation of purpose of form for employers in the Commonwealth of the Northern Marina Islands (CNMI).
- Instructions: clarify instructions for completing the form for both employers and employees and the proper use of the Spanish version of the form.
Stakeholders wanting to submit a comment may do so by following the steps below:
- Visit the website: http://www.regulations.gov
- Enter the code in the search box: USCIS-2006-0068
- Click the button: Comment Now!